Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Niche Market Ideas are Everywhere!

Looking for great ideas for niche markets? Still trying to figure out what to sell online?

Step away from your computer and leave your phone at home.

I know, it sounds crazy and counterproductive. I know, you have tons of research to do and blogs to follow. But try it for a day. You might be surprised at the results.

Us Internet people tend to forget the entire world is still spinning. People are living in offline worlds. Occasionally, we need to join them. See what they are talking about. Notice what gets them excited. And notice where they are spending their money.

I took my four daughters skiing today. It was super expensive and there were about 101 things I wanted to work on instead for my business. But they love skiing and this weekend my dad was generous enough to offer to come alone to help with the logistics of the skis, poles, boots and four beginning skiers. So I reluctantly left my computer and my ecommerce life behind and took the kids skiing.

But I kept my eyes open. I noticed potential niches everywhere. Skiers spend a lot of money and they are also in a group that updates their equipment and gear often. Whether you sold in a wide niche like "ski equipment" or a smaller niche like "goggles," there are a lot of ideas right there. That isn't even considering the bulkier and more complicated ideas like "chair lift parts" or "rental equipment software."

Judging by the long lift lines, this is a niche that has a lot of potential.

I also noticed the small shops in the town we stayed in. There was an entire shop dedicated to clocks and clock repair (I still marvel at how these brink and mortar shops survive!) But what an idea, clocks! One I had never thought of.

In order to get the inspiration you need to stay current and focused, it is important to get out and engage in the offline world. I know, it isn't as impersonal and anonymous as the tweets we leave and posts we comment on. But, we cannot forget that the offline world is where a lot of the action (and ideas) are.

No comments:

Post a Comment